AILA Las Americas (SDQ) Santo Domingo international airport // This is the best airport to fly into for the moment, because you have several options for travelling to Las Terrenas, such as:
By rental car
There is a very good new road directly from Santo Domingo Int’l Airport to Las Terrenas. In total it is about 1 and half hour drive. Even though it is safe to drive in the dark, we do not recommend it. Road signs are missing, the marking and signage of the road incomplete, no street lighting, dangerous road curves and shoulders, vehicles driving without lights and animals crossing the road. You should choose your vehicle depending on what you plan to do while in the D.R. If you plan to explore isolated beach areas and/or go from the main road, it is best to rent a 4×4.
- Turn left from the airport in the direction of Santo Domingo Ciudad (City).
- After about ¼ mile (400m) take a right exit towards “SAMANA TOLL ROAD”. (Look for a green and white sign just after the first toll booth (after 55 yards/50 mts.)).
- Watch-out: don´t miss this exit! Otherwise you will have to drive 30Km to town and back (no U-turn).
- Continue this road (right aside the main freeway) for about 1 mile, until you see the Samana toll road entrance on your right.
- Enter the toll road to Samana and continue this road for about 1 hour (70 miles/110 km.). In total will cross 3 toll booth. Total cost RD$ 350 / US$ 10 about.
- Turn right at the end of the toll road in the direction of Samana.
- Continue on the Samana road for about 5 Km until the 4th toll booth(US$ 12).
- Right after the 4th toll booth turn left direction Airport El Catey and Las Terrenas
- Just a litle after turning, the road splits in two (Y). Keep the right – direction Las Terrenas (do not enter in the airport)
- Continue on the road for about 15 Km and you arrive to Las Terrenas.
- Arriving in Las Terrenas, at the first crossing, turn left on the Las terrenas main road.
- Continue on the main road. Keep to the right where the main road changes into a one way street. Keep the right again crossing the bridge, passing through the main street of the village until you arrive at the cemetary in front of the ocean, where the road starts to follow the coast line.
- Turn left (keeping the sea on your right hand side) in front of the cemetary wall.
- Turn to the right after the curve where the police station is located and after a small bridge. Continue on for another ½ mile and you will arrive at Hotel Alisei
A one way taxi ride to Las Terrenas costs US$ 200. If you prefer, we can make the arrangements for you from the hotel. For this we need your flight details and a final reconfirmation the day before arrival: PLEASE DON’T LEAVE AN ORDERED TAXI EMPTY AT THE AIRPORT BECAUSE YOU WILL BE CHARGED THE FULL FARE.
The Caribe Tours national bus company has 4 connections per day (cost US$ 9 p/pers). The buses are big and comfortable and have full air conditioning. Departure is from the center of town but they ALSO make a stop at the entrance of the “Samana toll road” , 5 minutes taxi from the airport. You go to Sanchez. From Sanchez you will need to take a taxi to Las Terrenas (cost: US$ 30).
- Departure center of town are @ 8:00AM – 10:00AM – 2:30PM and 4:30PM
- Departure toll road stop are @ 8:30AM – 10:30AM – 3:00PM and 5:00PM
The minibuses of the local transportation (transporte Las Terrenas) are smaller (24 pax), maybe a little less comfortable and often congested, but the positive point is they arrive directly in the center of the village of Las Terrenas. The departure is from the center of Santo Domingo (Barahona street, ask for “parqueo de PLAZA LAMA, close to DUARTE avenue). As the big Caribe Tour buses, they make a stop close to the airport, at the entrance of the “Samana Toll Road”.
- Departure (center of town) are @ 8:30AM – 9:30AM – 11:00 – 1:30pm and 3:00pm
- Departure (toll road stop) are @ 9:00AM – 10:00AM – 11:30 – 2:00pm and 3:30pm
International Airport Samana El Catey (AZS).
Recently opened, in the future this will be our main connection for tourists within our area. Unfortunately there are not so many flights coming. A taxi to Las Terrenas from El Catey costs US$ 70 for a 1 way ride that will take about a half hour.
Puerto Plata (POP):
It is not too far, but the only possible connection is by taxi. It will take about 3 hours and costs US$ 200 for 1 way. The public transportation is uncomfortable and not recommended.
Punta Cana (PUJ):
Transportation in Las Terrenas
You can easily rent jeeps, cars, scooters, ATV and bikes in the village if you are without a vehicle. The rates tend to be a little higher than you might expect because of the high cost of maintenance and repair.
Taxi’s are available and also the famous “motoconcho” (motor taxi) is an easy way of transportation.
From Hotel Alisei you can walk to the village, because the center of Las Terrenas is just a 10 minute walk away. In town you will find shops, supermarkets, restaurants, bars, dancings etc.
Many excursions can be booked, with or without transportation. The front desk will be happy to give you all the information you might need.
Click maps to enlarge